The Valley Hotel became a proud part of Palmer in 1948, when the new two-story
building hung out its first advertisement sign that read:
42 rooms– 42 baths
With the close of World War II, weary travelers began to stay the night, and swap stories of gold mining in the mountains to the north, of coal mines nearby, and of farming beginning to thrive again. The hotel’s coffee shop became a town center as it buzzed and murmured with the developments of the day.
In the years since 1948, both the Matanuska Valley and the Valley Hotel have changed but some things have stayed the same. The hotel is still a center for farmers, gold miners, and local legends. Come and enjoy the friendliness and comradery of Palmer.